Aug 17 2007

Midnight Madness

Published by myamii at 6:00 am under Desserts, Fructose-sweetened, Test Recipes, Vegetarian

I had been craving a custard-based ice cream for quite some time now. But, since I can’t eat sugar, I can’t just walk down to my local ice cream parlor and get myself a cone…I have to make it myself. This is actually quite fun when everything goes according to plan. I made the custard in the evening and had a whole bunch of egg whites left. Then, I remember that a really really long time ago I read on La Tartine Gourmande about a cream-less ice cream that was egg white based. So, I dug her recipe up and tweaked it quite a bit. It was a great hit. I served it for my husband and my in-laws and they were absolutely wide about it! And, I have to say…it came out much much better than the custard-based ice cream. It was a bit disappointing to me…too much vanilla flavor, and the ice cream didn’t freeze properly since made the mistake of mixing it while doing a load of laundry on boiling (our washer machine is under the kitchen counter where our mixer is). I was able to “save” it, but just barely. I’ll have to try again on another day. But, on the bright side, I found this glorious recipe!

Another plus point: you need no ice cream machine!
Ingredients for Fake-Scream:
8 Egg Whites
1/2 a Cup + 2 Tablespoons of Fructose (or regular sugar)
2 Cups of chopped Strawberries

Directions:
Place chopped strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of fructose and mix. Let this stand on the side so that juices form. In a large 6-quart mixer, whip the egg whites, strawberries, and fructose together for about 10 minutes or until it has grown about 10 times in volume. Place in a large freezable container that seals well and place in the freezer for 8 hours or over night. This is a VERY important step. Salmonella dies either through extreme heat (cooking) or extreme cold (freezing), so the longer the better.(edit: I stand corrected, this is not true, so make sure you get your eggs from a reputable supplier who has healthy chickens – do your research people!) The next day, scoop it out like normal ice cream – it will be really soft and fluffy. It reminded me a lot of what frozen cotton candy would be like.

My site was nominated for Best Food Blog!

11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Midnight Madness”

1. Deborahon 17 Aug 2007 at 4:23 pm

How very interesting! I would like to try this out!

2. Hillaryon 17 Aug 2007 at 7:27 pm

Looks better than the real thing!

3. Tomon 17 Aug 2007 at 7:30 pm

Careful! Home freezers do not reliably kill salmonella. Best to use pasteurized eggs if you’re worried!

4. Zuzuon 17 Aug 2007 at 8:43 pm

I do you figure this is vegetarian with all those egg whites in it??

5. Jennieon 17 Aug 2007 at 9:12 pm

Interesting! I’ll have to add this to my frozen dessert repertoire!
    Now, I have a tip for you that will expand your frozen dessert repertoire.
    I made the most fabulous ice cream from one big yummy ripe mango, blended with one can of coconut milk. I do have an ice cream machine, but you can definitely just do the freezer/whisk/freezer thing. No sugar but the fruit’s own, and no dairy. And you can substitute any fruit for the mango, really since the coconut flavor isn’t overwhelming at all and will go with most things.

6. myamiion 17 Aug 2007 at 9:42 pm

Zuzu – I never said it was vegan. I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for a few years. I know many vegetarians who eat eggs since there is no animal killing involved (it is important, to me, to get my eggs from happy, well treated chickens who are not living in stressful conditions). Check out wikipedia, they have a great explanation.

Jennie – that sounds really delicious! I do have an ice cream machine, but it’s always an added bonus if there’s less clean-up involved. Actually, better said, I don’t have an ice cream machine…I have an ice cream attachment to my kitchenAid mixer. It’s really awesome!

Tom – thank you for that information. I just checked what you said, and you’re right, I’ll add that to my post. I was misinformed and didn’t check my source. However, I am not worried about salmonella from my egg supplier. Do you have any suggestions for cooking egg whites so that they can still be whipped into foamy-goodness??

7. Brion 18 Aug 2007 at 12:43 am

This looks like a really interesting recipe especially with your comment about frozen cotton candy. If you are thinking creamy, without the cream, and want to minimize the sweetness, try cherimoya sorbet. I made it a couple springs ago, and the cherimoya itself is so creamy, you could swear it had dairy in it. You just blend the fruit with a little lime juice for tang and to preserve color, and add your preferred sweetening to taste. Yum!

8. erinon 18 Aug 2007 at 4:04 am

okay, i just put mine in the freezer. i had no idea it was going to make so much!!! i hope it’s good. either way, i think that next time i’ll half the recipe. unless i make custard that calls for 8 yolks, that is.

9. erinon 18 Aug 2007 at 4:38 am

ps. i have been a vegetarian for 17 years and have no problem eating free-range, organic eggs. i always make a point of knowing my eggs came from chickens who are happy and healthy and can act like chickens. eggs, eggs, eggs… i love eggs.

10. myamiion 18 Aug 2007 at 1:29 pm

Bri – I LOVE cherimoya! I ate it often as a child. Unfortunately, where I currently live they are very rare. If I come across one, I’ll definitely have to give it a try!

erin – awesome that you’re trying it!! There is really no need to make less. Like I said, it’s like cotton candy – it looks like a lot, but in the end, it really isn’t…it’s just a whole bunch of air whipped in! Tell me how it comes out!

11. Patricia Scarpinon 21 Aug 2007 at 8:59 pm

I always drool over the ice creams I see on food blogs but I don’t have the machine either – this is a great idea, I’m tagging it right now!
    Tks for sharing!