Apr 10 2008
I got adventurous – this is the first time I’ve used something close to raw fish: smoked salmon carpaccio – which is smoked and salted salmon cut into see-through thin slices.
This roll was a big hit – even my husband liked it and he hates anything with fish – and my 14-month-old son loved it!
Here you’ll get the recipe and how-to on how to roll and inside-out maki sushi roll.
1/2-3/4 Cup of 1 recipe of Sushi Rice
2 teaspoons of Black and White Sesame Seeds
1 spear of Roasted Asparagus (see recipe bellow)
100 grams of Salmon Carpaccio
How to roll your inside-out maki sushi roll:
1. Place a sheet of nori shiny-side-down on your rolling mat and cover with rice from side to side, leaving a 1-inch lip at the top and bottom. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the rice and press down and flip over.
3. Once the nori sheet is facing up, place some salmon carpaccio at the edge and an asparagus wedge on top.
4. Roll the roll, like I did here, making sure not to roll the plastic wrap in with the roll and press closed.
5. Unwrap the roll from the plastic wrap.
6. Turn the roll over so the nori that is showing and cover with 1-2 layers of salmon carpaccio.
7. Tightly wrap the roll in the plastic wrap again and pull it tight so that the salmon carpaccio is pulled to the roll. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap.
8. Cut the roll into 7-8 slices while still in plastic wrap – this will keep it from falling apart. Remove plastic wrap from individual pieces.
9. Dip in soy sauce and, if you wish, wasabi paste.
250 grams fresh Asparagus
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Chicken bouillon granules
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to broil/grill.
In a glass casserole dish, place all asparagus, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon. Carefully mix coating all parts of the asparagus.
Broil for 5 minutes, then mix and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.