Oct 27 2008
I thought I’d share some really interesting things with you about Ireland. Some of these things were obvious to us before we arrived there, but many were surprising.
1. It’s really really green there. There is green grass and shamrocks in every corner of the country and the name Emerald Isle is no exaggeration.
2. The Republic of Ireland has a lot of coast line, but much of it is made up of really steep cliffs. These are the Cliffs of Moher.
3. The northern coast of Northern Ireland has a lot of nice sandy beaches. This is the view from the Mussenden Temple in the town of Castelrock, Northern Ireland.
4. Street signs in the Republic of Ireland are all in English and Irish (Gaelic – the Irish call it “Irish”). In Northern Ireland the signs are only in English.
5. Apparently in some areas of the coast people are in danger of driving off cliffs right into the ocean….you’d think it’d be obvious, right?
6. There are sheep everywhere. They graze the entire country – no one has to mow their lawn.
7. Many school buses are double deckers.
8. There are stone walls EVERYWHERE. The Irish really love their stone walls. They make it really nerve wrecking.
9. They have fascinating geological and geographical features. The Giant’s Causeway can be found in Portrush, Northern Ireland.
10. Guinness tastes better in Ireland – really. Guinness has quality control teams that go out to all the pubs, at no extra charge, to make sure all the lines from the kegs to the tap are clean and their beer tastes right. (Please no drinking and driving).
11. They drive on the left side oft he road in Ireland. The first 2 days were really stressful to get used to it, and after 1 week we were completely used to it. We were surprised that it was a bit confusing when we came back home to being on the right side of the road.
More interesting facts about Ireland tomorrow!